Sunday, February 24, 2013

DAR George Washington Luncheon

One of the best parts of being a member of the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution is attending events that stir up patriotic pride.  I love the swell of emotion one feels knowing we belong to one of the greatest nations on earth.  Today I attended our chapter's George Washington Luncheon.  The decorations were so cute and festive.  I love seeing the ladies who wear period costumes and the men also.  I would love to attempt making my own someday.


 


After our traditional opening ceremony of the pledge to the American flag, reciting of the America's Creed and Preamble, the singing of the National Anthem and pledge to the Texas flag, our regent gave a brief introduction to the event


 
 
 
George Washington, our first president, was born in Virginia on February 11, 1731, according to the then-used Julian calendar. In 1752 Britain and all its colonies adopted the Gregorian calendar, which then placed George Washington's birth on February 22, 1732.  Beginning with the 100th Anniversary of his birth in 1832 citizens of the United States have been celebrating the birth of our first president in some manner, as we are doing today
 
Then Linda gave a brief history on toasting of our first president and we all joined in a toast of our own.
 
 
 
After lunch we sang Happy Birthday and then our guest speaker a former CIA member told us the story of our first spy Nathan Hale of his capture and famous saying
 
"I only regret that I have but one life to give for my country"
 
It was a wonder day and I look forward to next year.  Maybe I'll even have my own costume by then too.
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment