Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Memorial Day

Yesterday I attended the 83rd Annual Memorial Day Service at Mt Olivet Cemetery in Fort Worth, TX.  It is an event my chapter of the DAR participates in every year.

 It really is a beautiful ceremony complete with bag piper and dove release!



This year our keynote was the Mayor of Fort Worth, Betsy Price who gave a good speech about the importance of the day tying it into the history of our city.

Mayor of Fort Worth, Betsy Price


Then each organization comes forward and places a wreath at the Dough Boy Statue followed by a 21 gun salute by the paralyzed honor guard.




I especially enjoy the ceremony because it’s an opportunity for me to show off my dad in his dress blues.   He retired from the Air Force, Lt Col serving during the Vietnam War and I am very proud of him.


Lest We Forget

No comments:

Post a Comment